Welcome to the Shire of Coolgardie

The Shire of Coolgardie encompasses an area of 30,400km2 and included the towns of Coolgardie, Kambalda, Widgiemooltha and Kurrawang. With the majority of the population residing between Coolgardie and Kambalda the Shires motto is ‘Two Hearts, One Soul’

Coolgardie was the first settlement of the WA Goldfields and bears the name ‘Mother of the Goldfields’. Many  historic buildings remain and Coolgardie is a fantastic tourist destination

Kambalda is Australia’s original ‘Nickeltown’ with large deposits of Nickel being mined since 1966. Kambalda has much to offer visitors and residents alike.

Celebrated for the Gold and Nickel discoveries in Coolgardie and Kambalda, the mining industry plays an important role in our community with more than 20 companies operating throughout the Shire at the cutting edge of mining innovation, creating career opportunities for the entire community.


Eddy Grant Tin Collection

View the collection now at the Pharmacy Museum on Bayley Street Coolgardie. For more information see the Community Information page or call Sandra Donkin on 9080 2111

posted 27 July 2015

Goldfields Exhibition & Visitors Centre

The Shire of Coolgardie wish to advise that the Goldfields Exhibition and Visitors Centre has been reopened and will resume normal business hours

posted 23 July 2015

Community Forum

Question and Answer Session

Coolgardie Council Chambers on 28 July 2015 from 4.30pm to 5.30pm

For further information please contact Elly McKay on 9080 2111 or email mail@coolgardie.wa.gov.au

17 July 2015

Newtown Dam Spillway Reconstruction

The Shire of Coolgardie has released to tender  the reconstruction of the failed spillway to the south of Newtown dam in Kambalda.

The spillway sustained massive erosion during the flooding that occurred in Kambalda between the 16th of January and the 6th of February 2014 and will lead to failure and water loss if not repaired.  

These works will preserve the integrity of the Dam during future flood events and channel overflow water in such a way that erosion will be prevented.

Reconstruction works will likely commence during July August  and will prevent public access to the Dam for the duration of the works.

For any further information please contact Manager Technical Services, Robert Connor on 9080 2111 or mail@coolgardie.wa.gov.au

Paul Webb
Chief Executive Officer

Posted 3/7/2015

Coolgardie Breast Screening Visit

Coolgardie Health Centre carpark, Wilkie Street Coolgardie

13 - 17 August 2015

Call 13 20 50 to make your free mammogram appointment


Australian Red Cross : Emergency Relief

Appointments in Coolgardie on Monday's 1pm - 2pm

Appointments in Kambalda on Monday's 10am - 11.30am

For more information view flyers on our Community Information page 


The Shire of Coolgardie are pleased to advise that Coolgardie and Kambalda are RV Friendly towns.

RV Friendly Town  Campervan Motorhome Club


Effective from 1415 hrs (02.15pm)  24 June 2015 the status of roads throughout the district of the Shire of Coolgardie are as follows:

Coolgardie North Road ........OPEN

Victoria Rocks Road.............. OPEN

Binneringie Road ................... OPEN

Holland Track ....................... OPEN - Refer to D.E.C.

Jaurdi Hills Road .................. OPEN

CarIns Road ............................  OPEN

BURRA ROCKS ROAD ................. OPEN



For more information on road reports within the Shire of Coolgardie please contact  The Shire on 9080 2111 or Main Roads on 9080 1400 or view the Main Roads Alerts webpage


Bush Fire Season commences from 1 November and continues through to 30 April each year.

To view current fire warnings please view the Department of Fire and Emergency Services Alerts and Warnings webpage.